Thursday, October 19, 2006

Oh babe, truer words have not been spoken



The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has hit out at Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones for being too old to tour.

Townshend, who famously penned the line "I hope I die before I get old' from the band's most famous hit 'My Generation', insists it is time musicians from the 60s packed away their instruments and called it a day.

The 61-year-old rocker says he wouldn't pay money to go and see Dylan or any of his other contemporise from the decade play live, and insists he wouldn't even go and watch his own band if he was a fan because they are past it.

Townshend - who has just completed a world tour with his original The Who bandmate Roger Daltrey - fumed to Britain's Daily Express newspaper: "I don't think the big bands are going to be able to do this much longer, I really don't. I don't want to go out and see Bob Dylan. I don't want to go and see The Stones.I dont want to go to see Crosby, Stills and Nash. I wouldn't pay money to go and see The Who, not even with new songs. It all makes me sick and I mean that in an ageist way.'

Townshend claims he very rarely sees many teenagers at Who concerts and insists the band only still manage to sell out stadiums because of their loyal older fans who grew up with them.

He explained: "People say, 'Oh I went to see The Rolling Stones concert there were lots of young people there.' But it's not young kids. Once. They come once. There are a lot of people who come and see bands like The Who once just for the experience.'

No comments:

Sangue nei solchi del cuore

“Bob Dylan è in città, c’è bisogno di catturare qualcosa di magico”. La “città” è ovviamente New York, al telefono John Hammond, il più gran...

I più letti